Puffin sails to lugger success at Beer
- Credit: Archant
There was a variable wind blowing to greet the Beer luggers when they launched from the beach for last Monday’s race, writes John Mortimore.
The wind was shifting between north west to south west.
This kept the skippers on their toes. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time.
Nine luggers made the starting line. All sailed shorewards for the home buoy.
First boat to reach the mark was the Cuckoo followed by Twilight.
You may also want to watch:
On towards the windward mark the Cuckoo still held the lead from Twilight with the Percy Mitchell in third place. Towards the leeward mark the Percy Mitchell overhauled the Twilight to reach the buoy in second position. As the race progressed the Mary began to show up arriving at the windward mark with Twilight.
It was nip and tuck as to who should make to the buoy first; Twilight just managed to squeeze through. At the middle of the fleet Puffin and Moondance were having a tussle for position while Scrumpy and Katherine were bringing up the rear.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
The Percy Mitchell overtook the Cuckoo to take the lead. Meanwhile, the Mary came in from nowhere and made a successful tack and found some good wind which enabled her to come through and cross the finishing line in pole position.
Results of the race: 1, Mary (D Boalch); 2, Cuckoo (G Dart); 3, Percy Mitchell (K Gosling); 4, Twilight (P Bagwell); 5, Puffin (R Driver); 6, Moondance (G Pook); 7, Katherine (M Diplock); 8, Little Wing (A Green); 9m Scrumpy (G Lockyer).
Winner of the race by handicap Puffin (R Driver).