Reed does well at UK Half Ironman event on Exmoor
AVR athlete Luke Reed took on the UK Half Ironman on Exmoor, writes Dave Mutter.
It involved a 7.30am start at Wimbleball Lake and, with the weather unsettled, it made for an interesting day!
Luke had a good 1.2-mile swim in the lake, completing the section in 30:40.
As he exited the water the heavens opened to make conditions difficult for the next stage, the 56-mile bike race.
That sort of distance is tough enough, but it was extra difficult with driving rain and increasing winds – and there was a 5,000 foot climb involved as well!
You may also want to watch:
Luke eventually finished this part in 3:21:43 which took him next into the final stage, a three-lap run. He took a while to find his legs, but once he settled into the stage he made good progress to finish the run element in 1:41:59.
This gave Luke an overall time of 5.41.19 and 181st out of 1500 finishers.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 7 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 10 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond