Reynolds flies the AVR flag at the Somerset Levels and Moors Marathon
Seventy-seven runners lined up for the start of the Somerset Levels and Moors Marathon, writes Dave Mutter.
The sole AVR representative was Steve Retro Reynolds unusually running without his side kick Geoff Woodward.
Retro had been talked into doing a 100 mile cycle with the Axe Valley Peddlers by Geoff on the previous Sunday.
“You’ll be all right if you do a couple of short runs in the week,” said the dastardly Geoff!
Retro was going well until about 12 miles when the cycle legs started to take their toll. Also the sun came out making it rather warm. He thought he was seeing things at 24 miles when he saw a fellow chubby chap in an AVR vest up ahead. It was Gavin Warren who was competing in the Half Marathon which started two hours after the Marathon!
You may also want to watch:
Gavin waited for Retro at the top of the last tortuous hill and they crossed the line together. Retro finished 43rd in 4:37:36 with Gavin finishing the Half in 18th spot taking 2:37. Congratulations to Langport runners on a well organised and well-priced event.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone