Best of season

PUBLISHED: 16:49 07 April 2011

Honiton first XV v Falmouth. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhsp 0663-14-11TI

Honiton first XV v Falmouth. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhsp 0663-14-11TI


Honiton’s kick off was delayed for an hour and a half as there was a mix up with the refs and a suitable substitute needed to be found.

When the game did get going it was clear it would be a much tougher encounter than last week, as the Falmouth forwards were a lot more organised and very much on the large side. Despite this, Honiton started brightly and were unfortunate not to score early on but, within minutes, a good handling move by the impressive backs allowed winger Ben Webber to dot down out wide. Glenn Channing added a penalty but the half remained nip and tuck throughout.

Falmouth scored an unconverted try just be for the break to go in just three points down.

Playing with the slope advantage, the second half was really all Honiton Steve Nex got the first and this opened the flood gates with Glenn Channing getting a brace to round off a very good individual performance.

Try of the game was dotted down by Chris Huskins following a move that started deep in home territory with all players involved.

Falmouth scored a consolation try but Dean Norman rounded things of with the final try in what was a very impressive team performance against stiff opposition.

This makes it seven wins on the trot and Honiton are really playing some good rugby as the season draws to a close.

●This Saturday there is a junior festival of rugby with U7,8,9 and 10s

all playing against a club from Somerset, 11m start. With no scheduled league game,

●Honiton 2nd XV had a friendly against their Exeter Saracens counterparts and, with Sarries sitting one place above Honiton in the league, this was always going to be a close encounter but ended up being the performance of the season from the home side.

Winger Ben Dobson and scrum half Johnny Selway stood out but Man of the match went to Louis Lane, who tackled everything that moved!

Steve Owen had out passed any remaining defence to score with a “Chris Ashton” style touch down, Dobson hitting the conversion, to win convincingly, right at the end.

But it was different at the start. Honiton went 3-0 up against the run of play. Both packs proved their worth. Tackles were flying in everywhere. Sarries broke the deadlock after several recycles had weakened the home side’s defence. They scored an unconverted try and, with tails up added to it with a penalty moments later, going into half time 3-8 up. The encounter had been very physical and Honiton had lost three players to injury.

Honiton’s pace man Ben Dobson was given a inch of space and skinned his opposite number to sprint in for another unconverted try. Sarries again came back strongly and slotted a penalty to keep them 8-11 in front. A Sarries’ penalty went wide and Dobson bagged his brace with another show of pace and Honiton at last had clawed back the deficit.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald