Blitzed first half

PUBLISHED: 10:00 22 April 2009 | UPDATED: 23:24 15 June 2010

Honiton RFC 1st XV ended their season in style on Saturday afternoon.

Honiton ended their season in style on Saturday afternoon, beating third-placed Torrington 28-12. In a real 'game of two halves' Honiton put the mid Devon side to the sword with some clinical finishing in the first half from Garmen, Barrett, Sampson and Locke. Playing down the slope in the first half, the Lacemen knew they had to make hay in the opening period. Having kicked to the visitors, they started reasonably well without making an immediate impact. After 10 minutes Honiton were awarded a penalty in the mid-field and kicked to the left hand touch. The lineout went well, as it did for the majority of the game, and ball was spun to the centre. Barratt broke the line and quick ball put Garmen over in the clubhouse corner. Guilbert converted outside to give the Lacemen a seven point lead. Honiton were on top but had to wait another 10 minutes for their next score. They turned the ball over on the left hand side of the half way line and Nex put Guilbert over the gain line. Guilbert hit Barrett, and he carried from the half way around the full back to score under the posts for another converted score. Barrett had hit the ball at pace and showed a good step to out manoeuvre the full back.Sampson was soon on the score sheet, as a Honiton scrum in their own 22 saw him break the defensive line from a set move. He too showed good pace to score from more than 60 yards for another converted try. Honiton were showing good form, but they allowed Torrington back into the game with a series of penalties. The away side made camp deep in Honiton territory, and, with a scrummage five yards out, they went right from the base, up the blind side. The winger did well to dot down in the corner for a five point score. Torrington's kicker, Manning, missed the conversion and a 'kickable' penalty moments later before Honiton reasserted themselves on the game. Moving down the right hand side, Torrington collapsed a maul and Galling co-ordinated his colleagues, allowing Locke a free run in to the line. Guilbert again converted, this time from 15 yards right of the posts. With the scores at 28-5 at the interval, Honiton had done well with the slope, but knew that Torrington would come back into it. Torrington did, and Honiton only emerged from their own half twice. Torrington broke through early on, again on the blindside from a scrummage, Manning this time converting, and things looked overcast for the Lacemen. However, Honiton defended resolutely and kept the visitors out for the rest of the half. It was a tremendous effort to keep the green and blacks out, and, with Manning pinning the Lacemen back, the pressure was relentless. Thomas and Parkyn came on to add weight to the defensive effort, for Webber and Jefferson, both of which played well. It was a satisfactory end to the season for the Lacemen who secured fourth spot with the win. In a year that has seen a lot of young faces emerge at the club, it's a been a creditable effort by everyone involved and, should they be able to keep the team together, things look bright for next year.As ever, thanks for reading my reports again this season!

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald