Colts muster troops for double header

PUBLISHED: 09:00 26 March 2008 | UPDATED: 21:38 15 June 2010

After a string of narrow defeats Honiton RFC seconds took a break from league action and entertained Topsham seconds at home and really it was a bit of a mismatch as Honiton put the opposition to the sword, writes Jerry Rice.

After a string of narrow defeats Honiton RFC seconds took a break from league action and entertained Topsham seconds at home and really it was a bit of a mismatch as Honiton put the opposition to the sword. However, take nothing away from the seconds, they played well and ran in several well-worked tries in their 60 -0 thrashing of the Tops.Student Mark Martin led the way with five well-earned tries showing how wingers should score. Lyndon Jones continued his rehabilitation from a long injury lay off by also weighing in with a hat-trick of tries and in-form Ian Floyd got on the score sheet as did James Llaughin, Nathan Spence and Dave McGrath. McGrath also had a good day with the boot, kicking five goals as well. All in all this was a great lift for a side who are still in with a shout of avoiding relegation and it's back to it next week as they entertain Devonport services.Honiton Colts had a busy weekend and on Good Friday they ventured in to deepest darkest Cornwall to play in a Colts' festival at St Austell. Despite taking a small squad, they defied all the odds to come runners up and brought home the first bit of silverware for the club this season.Having arrived late they were greeted by a hideous gale which on one occasion blew a kick for goal back over the halfway line! Wadebridge B were first up and Honiton dispatched them without too much trouble, winning 22-0. Next were the hosts St Austell and Honiton surprised them selves and again won 15-5. The third game was against North Petherton and this was a tough one but Honiton won by a slender margin of 10-5. The fourth match was due to be against Helston Barbars but they gave the Honiton side a walk over through to the final.Unfortunately this was a step too far and injuries to a couple of key players meant Honiton were a bit below par. They gave it their best shot and went down by 17-0 but, credit where credit is due, this was a great team effort. On Saturday the Colts had to once again muster the troops and host Barnstaple in the league. Understandably they were a bit battle weary and, before they knew it, were 17 points down. Honiton did rally with a try from Martin Keywood but the Barnstaple side upped the ante and scored a few more tries. Honiton never gave up, scored twice but lost 36-19.The under-16s also had a tough weekend entertaining a strong Welsh touring side from Aberconwy early on Friday evening and then Tiverton in the league on Sunday. Friday night's game was definitely the one to watch as the quality of rugby from both sides was excellent. Unfortunately Honiton just lost out by 25-31. Honiton try scorers were Josh Wood, Ollie Rice, Isaac Dalton and Dean Norman. Tom Kingwell kicked one conversion and fly half Mike Gould slotted a penalty.On Sunday, Honiton were back to league action and with a second place position in the league and a play off slot at stake, Honiton had to win. It turned out to be a tough contest as Tiverton were much improved and, despite Honiton's early lead through Isaac Dalton, the Mid Devon side bounced back and the scores were even at the break. Honiton turned the screw and scored tries in the second half through Tommy Wilkins and Dean Norman but they were pushed all the way and won by 17-7. They now have the prospect of a place in the Devon final.On Sunday the under-15s entertained Newton Abbot and they did very well to turn round a 12 point deficit which the visitors inflicted in the first 10 minutes. Honiton slowly ground their way back into the game with three tries from Billy Wilkins, Winston Perry and Dicky Barnes. Honiton made the game safe in the second half with an Adam Dawson touch down and Honiton won by 20-12The under-13s went down to Newton Abbot and, in a 13-a-side game, ran out eventual winners 31-15. It was an end-to-end game and pretty close in the first half. Honiton scored two tries in the first half, both of which were touched down by the impressive Sam Loader. Ollie Cave kicked one conversion and they turned round 15-5 up.The second half continued in the same vein with a brace of tries for Jack McGrae and one for Adam Thompson. He also kicked two conversions to bring the tally to 31.The under-12s entertained tourists Melton Mowbray and, in a three short-match series, they proved a little too strong for Honiton, winning all three with a combined score of 40 points to nil. However, Honiton played well as each of the games were close and the broom stick game and boat race in the clubhouse afterwards was also very entertaining!The under-10s continued their winning ways with another comfortable victory away to Newton Abbot, winning by a 45-10 margin. There were tries for Scott "the Fridge" Everleigh, Mark Monkhouse and George Catches on his debut. Dion Warner and Hannah Jenkins both got two apiece. The Man of the Match award was shared between Dion Warner and Chris Lowmas.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald