Honiton 2nds’ second half went awry

PUBLISHED: 13:21 27 September 2011

Honiton Vs Veor rugby. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref mhsp 3296-38-11AW. To order your copy of this photograph, go to www.midweekherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Honiton Vs Veor rugby. Picture by Alex Walton. Ref mhsp 3296-38-11AW. To order your copy of this photograph, go to www.midweekherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24


South Molton 28, Honiton 2nds 7

Honiton 2nd’s came up against their South Molton counterparts on Saturday looking to bounce back after last weeks disappointing defeat. Whilst going into the game confident of coming away with the spoils, they succumbed to a second half onslaught from the visitors and went down 28-7.

The early signs were that the Lacemen could do a job on the North Devon side as from the kick off, Honiton dominated the ruck and used their speed out wide to drag South Molton around the field. This created gaps in the defence and Honiton set up camp on the South Molton 22. Fly half Andy Canniford kicked towards clubhouse corner to set up a line out 5 metres from the try line. Some excellent work at the set piece allowed the Honiton forwards to steel the lineout and rumble towards the line, the visitors were helpless to stop them and Justin Nutall charged over for the opening try. This was expertly converted by Ben Webber and Honiton were ahead 7-0.

From then on, the half belonged to Honiton. They created numerous chances and only some spirited defence from South Molton stopped the Lacemen from building a healthy lead in the first 30 minutes. Towards the end of the first half, after powering their way to within 5 metres of the try line Honiton gave away a cheap penalty for holding onto the ball in the ruck. As they turned and headed back, Honiton lost their concentration and allowed the intelligent South Molton scrum half to take a quick tap penalty and send the ball wide. They made good ground and Honiton were soon pegged back on their 22. South Molton switched the play to the opposite side of the field and barrelled over to score their first try. This was converted to make it 7-7 at the break.

At half time, Honiton felt that they were on top and should be ahead by a distance. They went into the second half keen to correct the score board but South Molton had other ideas and took the game to Honiton. They used their strong runners to good effect and as the Honiton backs were drawn in to the ruck area, gaps were created out wide. This combined with some weak tackling by Honiton meant that South Molton were able to run in 2 tries in quick succession, making the score 7-21.

The way in which these tries were conceded clearly had an effect on both sides. Unfortunately they were the opposite effects to what Honiton would have hoped for. The hosts looked like a beaten side already and the visitors had their tails up. This resulted in a frantic defensive effort by Honiton as South Molton showered them with wave after wave of attack. In fairness, Honiton did well to keep the score down as South Molton only ran in 1 other try. This was converted and the game ended 7-28 in favour of the visitors.

This was a disappointing showing by the Lacemen, especially after the potential that they showed in the first half. As with last week, there is still plenty to work on and they will have to improve before next weekends meeting with Tavistock. Man of the Match went to speedster Ben Webber who looked sharp and asked questions of the visitors every time he got the ball.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald