Honiton beaten by St Austell

PUBLISHED: 07:43 24 April 2013 | UPDATED: 07:43 24 April 2013

Honiton fell to league Champions St Austell at Allhallows on Saturday afternoon, writes Nick Guilbert.

The Lacemen were keen to put up a fight against the Cornish side in the last home game of the season, and the 33-3 score was harsh on the Lacemen.

It was a tight, competitive game and the score line does not tell the story of the game as the crowd were treated to an entertaining running contest.

Honiton elected to play up the slope in the first half. The opening exchanges were very even.

The first point of real action was from St Austell as they probed the left hand channel well, working from the half way into Honiton territory.

They won a penalty which, given for a infringement at the ruck, which they kicked to the corner. Honiton couldn’t manage to disrupt the drive and so the robust eight ended up crossing in the corner for a converted effort.

The home side had made a good fist of the opening quarter, but they soon found themselves in their own corner again with a lineout of their own.

St Austell turned it over and the number nine picked a hole in the home defence and crossed unopposed for a score he converted.

Honiton kept plugging away and St Austell were porous, but the difference between the two sides was clearly the level of training, as Honiton couldn’t put together enough phases to trouble the away side.

St Austell scored again just before half-time, but threw was still time for Webber to slot a penalty to see half-time arrive with the visitors 21-3 to the good.

Honiton were good value in the second half as the scrum continued to perform admirably. It has been a hard season on the players and that was possible to see in the last twenty as the knocks started to take their toll.

St Austell crept over early in the period and Honiton then probably had their best period of the game. Pressure and territorial ground was evident, but even though they came less than a metre short they just couldn’t manage to get over the line.

St Austell cleared and then won a penalty and kicked up to the top corner where they scored a converted try from a driving maul to complete the scoring.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald