Honiton celebrate win

PUBLISHED: 09:00 12 March 2008 | UPDATED: 21:36 15 June 2010

Honiton secured two league points at Wessex with a 13-17 victory at the Flowerpot Fields on Saturday afternoon.

Honiton secured two league points at Wessex with a 13-17 victory at the Flowerpot Fields on Saturday afternoon. The points, rare commodities for the Lacemen this season, were gained following tries from Nathan Hannay and Lee Chester.With essentially nothing to lose, the Lacemen started brightly and immediately worked their way deep into Wessex territory. The referee was particularly keen on judging the gain line, and penalised the home side for being offside several times. Honiton were camped in the Wessex 22 but could not break down the home side's defence in the opening quarter. It was not until a loose kick from Wessex was fielded by Jason Hannay that the away side broke through. Hannay gathered and ran up the right touch line before feeding Summers who found Chester. The hooker set the ruck, and quick ball out to the left stretched the defence as Laughin used his pace before being hauled down at the 22. More quick rucking allowed Bralsford to come from deep out wide on the right. He was stopped 15 yards out and Chester galloped in from Bralsford's offload to crash over 15 yards right of the posts for a converted try. Honiton had dominated up until this point. However, as Wessex gained some possession, they pushed forward through their pack and it was the Lacemen who were this time punished for not retreating the required distance at a ruck to provide Wessex with a kick at goal. Fortunately for the visitors the kick was wayward, as were two additional efforts before half time but, as the end of the half neared, Wessex's kicker took the score to 6-7. Captain Simmons had been sent to the bin for encroaching at a ruck, but Honiton knew that they had another gear to go for. They changed up immediately after the restart and, after good carries from Wilson and De Large, they found themselves gathering momentum. They were briefly halted before the line, but Woolacott found Nathan Hannay who crossed 15 yards left of the posts. Guilbert converted to stretch the lead to 14-6. Wessex rocked the boat as the game entered the final quarter. A penalty gave their kicker the chance to kick deep into Honiton territory and following the lineout Wessex span the ball into the midfield. The ball went loose and apparently forward, but the whistle never came, and Honiton stopped. It was amateur stuff from the Lacemen and they gifted the home side 7 points and a route back into the game. Honiton found their top gear again. Guilbert missed the penalty but rectified the situation soon afterwards with a place kick ten yards out to extend the Lacemen's lead to four points. It was a lead they never looked like losing as they finished the majority of the game in the Wessex half. It was a good two points for Honiton who have scraped their way through the season, but for neutrals it was easy to see why both are at the foot of the table - play never really flowed.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald