Honiton Colts edged out at Crediton

PUBLISHED: 16:50 12 November 2013 | UPDATED: 16:50 12 November 2013

Crediton 18, Honiton 17

Honiton Colts were edged out in a close encounter at Crediton, writes Paz Parratt.

Honiton received the ball to start the match, but Crediton showed no mercy as a robbed ball was spun out wide to allow them to scamper over the open the scoring.

Rocked by such an early wake-up call, the Lacemen stepped up a gear and took charge of the game in the forwards department where possession and territory was dominant.

However, unfortunately they were unable to release the ball to the backs with any conviction and, although on many occasion the white wash looked to be in sight, good defence from the home side kept them at bay!

It was perseverance that eventually paid off as Ben Kidson broke down the wing allowing a little off load to Jake Smith who successfully crossed the line to put the first of Honiton’s points on the board, Harry Wright slotted the posts to take the Lacemen in front. Disappointingly, the lead was short lived and Crediton were allowed in again on the right wing.

With both teams playing equally good rugby the game was played from one end to another and from a pressured clearance kick from Crediton, Johny House managed to charge it down and dot down in the final minutes of the first half, Harry Wrights boot was again on target and the break was called with Honiton 14-10 the good.

With lots of changes being made from the bench to restart the second half Honiton appeared to lose their ‘mojo’ a little and Crediton were able to turn up the pressure.

However, the Honiton defence was excellent, but Crediton were finally able to break through to cross the line and claim a single point advantage.

With all to play for Honiton elected to kick for the post following a long distance penalty and, as it slipped through the post, the lead switched to the visitors!

With victory in sight Honiton’s discipline slipped a little and, following the sending to the sin bin of one of their number the home side took full advantage and, pinning the visitors down in their 22, won a make-or-break kick in the final minute that they slotted to secure the narrowest of victories.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald