Honiton Colts win well at Newton Abbot

PUBLISHED: 10:23 27 November 2013 | UPDATED: 10:23 27 November 2013

Newton Abbot 7, Honiton 14.

The Lacemen Colts travelled down to Newton Abbot where they dished up one of their best performances of the season, writes Paz Parratt

Honiton received to start the game and the ball was played close in hand.

With the forwards working hard and gaining territory with some good phases being worked.

Although defence from the home side was good, Honiton were eventually rewarded as the ball was delivered out to the backs where a well presented ball was collected and the first of Honiton’s tries was run in by Ross Oaten under the posts for an easy kick from Jake Smith.

With the game being controlled well from the Honiton forwards, Newton Abbot found it hard to get any decent passages of play flowing as the Lacemen dispatched any threats early and efficiently.

Both teams dug deep and with the last five minutes of the half counting down either side could have crossed the white wash.

Try as they did neither team managed to breach each other’s defence and the break was called with a narrow lead of seven points to the Lacemen.

From the restart Honiton again looked dangerous in attack and recycling of the ball was quick and efficient.

With some text book forward’s work, the ball was worked up to the five-metre line where Finn Parratt charged the line with a little help from the skipper to dot down taking the lead by a further five points. Jake Smith slotted the posts for the extras extending the lead further more.

Not yet conceding the game Newton Abbot adopted a different strategy and quick ball allowed them to spin out from one side to the other, catching the Lacemen off guard on one of the few occasions in the match, the All Whites were able to cross the line dotting down under the posts.

The conversion was good taking the game 14-7 to Honiton. Both teams again attacked and defended well and a nail biting last minute passage of play saw Newton Abbot cross the line for a second time in the corner. However, the match official declared it knocked-on and there was no time to restart leaving Honiton worthy winners.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald