Honiton good value for draw with Withycombe

PUBLISHED: 18:12 14 April 2015 | UPDATED: 18:12 14 April 2015

Honiton at home to Withycombe. Ref mhsp 5547-16-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

Honiton at home to Withycombe. Ref mhsp 5547-16-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife


What could have been a non-event turned out to be an entertaining 22-all draw when Honiton entertained Withycombe in their penultimate league game of the season, writes Roger Dance.

Honiton at home to Withycombe. Ref mhsp 5537-16-15TI. Picture: Terry IfeHoniton at home to Withycombe. Ref mhsp 5537-16-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife

On paper Withies were the clear favourites for a win as it was third in the table playing tenth.

But pride is a big motivator and in front of a healthy crowd this turned out to be a cracking game.

Honiton kicked off up the slope but backed by a keen wind. They had most possession in the early encounters and, on the 10-minute mark, prop Will Goulden finished off a good set of phases with a crash over the line. Ben Webber added the extras.

The visitors’ successful season is not with out reason and they bounced back with a well-taken try by Liam Cotton and they started to look ominous after they scored again out wide through John Parkin.

Honiton held strong and with some good defensive patterns weathered the storm.

Using the wind well Webber slotted two penalties and Honiton turned round 13-12 up.

The game continued in the same tempo. But with use of the wind, Withycome kicked for position well and scored another well-worked converted try by Dave Richards and they were in the driving seat.

Honiton did, however, have a clear advantage in the scrum and this told as it availed them with a good supply of possession. Honiton’s penalty count in the forwards crept up, which stopped them applying more pressure on Withies.

After Webber and Jack Pugsley exchanged penalties, Withycombe were 22-16 up.

Honiton continued to apply pressure and did look the more likely to score and they went close on several occasions

Withycombe went down to 14 men when Richards was sent off for a tip-tackle offence. Two Webber penalties into the wind got Honiton on level terms with two minutes to play.

The Lacemen were pinged at the restart, which left Pugsley a wind-assisted kick from half way to level the game. His kick was off target and honours were shared.

This Saturday is Honiton’s final game when they entertain basement team Looe and Liskeard.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald