Honiton graft to cup victory

PUBLISHED: 11:01 11 November 2010

Honiton 1st team v Teignmouth. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhspwk45 4301-45-10TI

Honiton 1st team v Teignmouth. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhspwk45 4301-45-10TI


Honiton reached the second round of the Devon Intermediate Cup on Saturday afternoon with a 15-3 win over Teignmouth.

The error strewn performance at Allhallows saw the Lacemen struggle to convert their periods of pressure and dominance into points until the final quarter.

With both sides struggling for form coming into the game, both hoped to gather momentum to carry into the league, however, it was the home side that looked far more promising throughout.

Honiton played up the slope in the first period and, when they gathered possession, they moved Teignmouth around the park, stretching their defence using Garmen and Small.

However, the last pass continually failed to go to hand and Honiton just couldn't score. Many of the home faithful found it unfathomable, as did some of the players. But to their credit, Honiton stuck at it and kept plugging away. Meadows slotted over a penalty and the hosts kept banging at the door. Silly mistakes and poor decisions let them down, as did the penalty count.

The bottom line was that they went into the second half with a three point advantage, knowing that they were more or less in control.

Teignmouth rallied to a degree and won a penalty within range, full back Moses converting for the visitors. They pushed the Lacemen again which was worrying given their dominance throughout the game.

They steadied the ship, defending their 22 well, and keeping the fishermen at ,bay. Eventually Meadows cleared, and the introduction of Channing saw more straight running and, with Honiton in the opponents’ 22 they showed the attacking control that was missing from the first half.

Skipper Findlay carried, before Dalton came close as the Lacemen looked to burrow over. Soon after the ball came to Keywood and he broke the first tackle, before smashing over the line from five yards. Meadows converted to carry the score to 10-3 and give the home side some breathing space.

Honiton scored with the final play, when Meadows, who should have kicked the ball out from the scrum, on the half way, hacked the ball long, into the oppositions’ try area.

The covering defence dawdled, and Josh Rice pounced, showing the same commitment in the 80th minute as he had done in the first, to touch down and seal the game.

Honiton move into the next round, and will be confident of progressing further if they can iron out the odd mistakes that have held them back in the last few weeks.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald