Honiton ‘just not tough enough’

PUBLISHED: 14:50 27 January 2011

Honiton v Bideford. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhsp 6737-03-11TI

Honiton v Bideford. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhsp 6737-03-11TI


With “no conscience” Barnstaple Thirds failing to honour this weekend’s fixture, Honiton’s Reserves were without a game at the 11th hour.

This was particularly galling as the Lacemen travelled to North Devon earlier in the year with a scratch side, even pulling old man Ricey out of retirement to make sure a game was played. However, not being a club to rest on their laurels, some phone calls were made and an away to South Molton was on!

On arrival at the Mid-Devon club it was apparent the main pitch was more suitable for ice hockey than rugby, which, as anyone who has played at South Molton will know, means a short car journey to the sheep field with humorous wooden posts!

The game got under way a little late and so 30 minute halves were decided on, with the home side receiving the kick off. It was fair to say that the home side got out of the blocks a little better and put some pressure on, the hard pitch playing havoc with the bouncing ball and the Lacemen weren’t as keen to dive on the ball, therefore possession was lost.

Midway through the first half the South Molton forwards made good progress through a catch and drive before spinning the ball wide with numbers for an unconverted score.

Honiton finished the half the stronger side, making good yards through Barratt and new chap Steve. Unfortunately Jas Fahy was the first to fall foul of the hard ground, injuring his knee before half time.

Just as it looked like they would have to continue with 14, a gaggle of second teamers who had been stolen by the firsts arrived from their cancelled game to help out. Half time turned round 5-0 down and, after a dressing down by Churchward about commitment to the cause, they took to the field with Galling and Canniford as replacements.

Town played a sensible game making good yards, however the final pass often seemed forced and went astray. The home side seemed to be on the front foot and Town to do some last ditch defending. Sampson, Kenny and Garman entered the team with 20 minutes remaining and the ball was put wide immediately, leading to Sampson scoring to the left of the posts, his own conversion attempt going wide, leaving the sides all square.

The final 10 minutes should have seen the visitors take control of the game. However, Molton did well to retain possession and batter the town’s stringent defence for long periods with their forwards.

After several attempts being held up over the line Molton finally crossed with a converted score which settled the result.

At the end of the day, Honiton just weren’t tough enough.

There is a lot of inexperience in the twos at the moment and everyone is learning lessons and getting better but some guidance is needed and that can only come from training! Man of the Match went to James Tucker for his consistent tackling and support.

Thanks to the latecomers and effort from all the guys for travelling.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald