Honiton piled on the second half points

PUBLISHED: 03:30 22 October 2008 | UPDATED: 22:30 15 June 2010

Honiton progressed to the last 32 of the National Junior Vase on Saturday afternoon as they beat Ashley Down Old Boys 42-15 in Bristol.

Honiton progressed to the last 32 of the National Junior Vase on Saturday afternoon as they beat Ashley Down Old Boys 42-15 in Bristol. Having travelled a good hour and half up to Avon, the Lacemen started playing up the slope into the wind. They received the kick off but soon went down to a penalty as the defence dived over the top at a ruck. With the hosts three points clear, Ashley Down Old Boys soon increased their lead as they used their robust pack to pound down the touchline. They were rewarded for their efforts as they soon crossed for an unconverted try. Honiton found themselves eight points down in as many minutes. However, Honiton were supported by around 30 travelling well-wishers and the Lacemen gave them something to cheer about as Sampson broke through the middle and offloaded out of the tackle to Jones. He progressed into the 22 before being hauled down. Support rucking provided quick ball for Dobson, who crossed 15 yards right of the posts for an unconverted score that took Honiton within three points.Unfortunately the visitors let the home side gather some momentum soon afterwards and the Bristol side scored again, this time from a quick lineout. Honiton were caught napping and the home team broke through close to the touchline and around the defence under the posts for a score that was converted. The scoring was almost relentless at this early stage, with less than quarter of an hour on the clock. Honiton worked their way into the game by gathering more possession. The away team began to dictate the direction of the game, and the forwards were making five yards from each drive. This drew the defence and as Honiton spun the ball from right to left, Sampson again broke the line and drew the last man before offloading to Nathan Spence. Spence crossed the line and dotted down 10 yards left of the posts for a commendable try. With the score at 15-10 Honiton were well in the match and began to play their own running game. Dobson scored again and the away side scored once more before half time to take themselves five points clear at the break. With the wind and slope in their favour Honiton made hay in the second half. They defended well in the first ten minutes as the home side looked to get back in the game. Honiton gave away a few penalties but defended their line successfully. As the home side looked to do something special, Dobson intercepted a long ball and sprinted the length for a score that was unconverted. Man of the match Findlay had a try disallowed as he was adjudged have been stopped short. A scrummage on the left hand side in Honiton's favour gave De Large the opportunity to dummy. He did so and beat three men before offloading to Jones. Jones, who had a good game at seven, scored, tripping over his own feet as he dotted down. Dobson scored again before Spence went off for Bralsford and Kenny made way for Thomas. It was Thomas who finished the scoring as he latched on to a wide ball to out- sprint the defence and score in the corner. Nex converted superbly from the touchline. It was a good win for the Lacemen and they will look to transfer this form into next week's league game at Teignmouth.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald