Honiton show great commitment as they slip to another narrow reversal

PUBLISHED: 15:35 11 December 2012

Honiton Under 10's rugby at home against Exmouth on Sunday. Photo by Terry Ife ref mhsp 5206-49-12TI To order your copy of this photo go to www.midweekherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24

Honiton Under 10's rugby at home against Exmouth on Sunday. Photo by Terry Ife ref mhsp 5206-49-12TI To order your copy of this photo go to www.midweekherald.co.uk and click on myphotos24


Honiton 10, Penryn 14

Honiton succumbed to 14-10 defeat at the hands of Penryn on Saturday afternoon, writes Nick Guilbert.

It was again a dogged effort from the Lacemen, but the final piece of the jigsaw just won’t seem to connect together to acquire that second win.

Playing down the Allhallows slope the home side quickly acquired possession and battered away around the fringes, but the visitors were stubborn in this area from the outset and proved to be all day. Honiton eventually gave away a penalty to release the pressure on the Cornishmen.

Following a bit of tit for tat in the midfield Honiton won a penalty which Cave skewed wide in the slippery conditions. The Cornish converted a similar effort at the other end to go ahead before Honiton really kicked on. Having returned several clearance kicks to good effect, the home side made a break through as Hill gathered a clearance on the half way and drew a couple of defenders before offloading to Barratt. Barratt picked a hole in the defence and showed a clean pair of heels to the covering defence to cross in the corner.

A superb phase of play from both sides started with the game deep in the Penryn twenty two with Honiton in possession. An interception started a length of the pitch sprint with several Honiton players making some fantastic covering tackles before the onslaught was bought to a halt on the home sides five yard line. Several phases ensued as Honiton dug in and eventually turned the ball over and cleared. It showed, if anyone was in doubt the commitment from all fifteen in the shirt. This season has been hard and unforgiving, but the club is throwing everything at it.

Crucially Honiton could not add to their tally in the first half and conceded a try near half time following a period of sustained Penryn pressure.

Undeterred Honiton made a good fist of it in the second half and whilst they looked the more likely of the two sides to score in the second period they could not convert their chances. With the lineout improved from a weeks solid training, the scrummage struggled consistently.

It was felt by a number of home support that the fastidious nature of the official also hampered the home sides efforts. This aside Honiton should have been more clinical and essentially left it too late again. They were put to fourteen for ten minutes as Huskins was sent from the field for an alleged stamp, which only one person had seen, let alone the accused.

Barratt hacked on from a midfield fumble as the game moved into the final quarter, he was obviously held back but one person thought that it was fifty fifty. As it was Honiton won a scrummage five yards out, and Rice went from the quick tap to go over in the corner to narrow the score to 10-11. (Yes they scored more earlier!)

The Lacemen were on the up, but could not convert a decent penalty and conceded a kickable penalty shortly afterwards to leave them four points behind. The kitchen sink went into it and play traversed from one side to another and one end to the other before the ball went into touch to call it a day.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald