Knocking on the door

PUBLISHED: 09:30 03 December 2008 | UPDATED: 22:43 15 June 2010

Honiton RFC 1st XV narrowly lost out to Torrington on Saturday afternoon after a brave second half performance.

Honiton narrowly lost out to Torrington on Saturday afternoon after a brave second half performance. Having conceded 17 points in the first half, the Lacemen were unlucky to come home with nothing. Their preparations were hampered as work commitments meant that three of the side arrived only moments before kick-off. Honiton were off-colour in the opening period and did not start the game well. Within 10 minutes they were as many points down and basic errors hampered the side. The visitors conceded a penalty for hands in the ruck and then a converted try shortly afterwards. The Lacemen had been affected by a few injuries and played with men out of position. Captain Rice noted that his side were not at their best and took the game on. In doing so, he evoked a positive response from his counterparts. Indeed his performance in resurrecting the game must silence the minority who thought he was too young to be a leader and captain. Honiton worked their way into Torrington territory, but often lost the ball at key times. The home side's 10, Manning, is an experienced campaigner and he hammered the ball back into the Honiton half whenever he had the chance. Conditions underfoot were poor, although Garmen, Dobson and Webber all had good games, the pitch not being conducive to their counter-attacking style. As the half wore on Honiton pressurised Manning into several errors, with scrum half Kenny charging down. The Lacemen left Torrington territory with nothing and they were made to pay as a lineout at the top of the field provided the home side with good clean ball. A switch in the midfield evaded a couple of tackles and the number 12 rounded to score under the posts. At 17-0 down, Honiton knew they had a lot to do in the second period. They started brightly and pressure forced the home side into slicing a kick into touch. Unorthodox jumper Kenny won the ball and Owen, making his return to the first team in the second row, burrowed infield. Following two additional phases Locke powered through to score in typical fashion. Nex was unfortunate to miss the conversion. Torrington extended their lead with a penalty to take the score to 20-5. Kenny kicked off and the high ball was knocked on to provide Honiton with a decent attacking platform on the 22. The ball was turned over and Manning did as he had done all game. Dobson caught the ball and opted to go outside his man, did so with some ease and sliced inside before making contact with the defence. Such was the power of the run that the home side could not hold him and he raced through to score a memorable try, and one that will rank highly in his personal collection. Nex converted and Honiton were knocking on the door at 20-12.Honiton reacquainted themselves with the home side's half, forcing a penalty in the process. Nex kicked the goal and Honiton were within a score. They pounded the line, but couldn't find the crucial score. The mid Devon side kicked themselves out of trouble time and time again. Eventually a chip bounced awkwardly and Manning gathered his own kick to score beside the posts against the run of play. Honiton marched on but the covering defence managed to put Dobson into touch to finish the game.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald