Lacemen colts get going too late in meeting with Exmouth

PUBLISHED: 14:44 28 October 2014 | UPDATED: 14:44 28 October 2014

The Lacemen Colts were guilty of starting their match with Exmouth with a little too much complacency and paid the price, having to settle for a 10-10 draw, writes Paz Parratt.

Exmouth chose to start the game with the wind in their favour and the sun glaring into the Lacemen’s eyes making the first half even harder work.

From the off Honiton looked to be sluggish and sleepy, with a take it or leave it attitude.

Exmouth appeared to be playing their own game plan which Honiton found difficult to break and the Cockles played the majority of the half in the Lacemen’s camp, applying pressure from all over the park.

The home side capitalized quickly and found a quick three pointer which clearly added to their confidence. The next 20 minutes were played with Exmouth in charge and a well worked try and conversion nearing the break unsettled things even more. During the interval, Honiton clearly did some soul searching for they looked a yard sharper from the restart.

They contested the second half with more aggression and urgency and the set pieces were solid and well controlled.

Ross Oaten slotted an early penalty and, working closely from the pack they fought their way up toward the Exmouth line on numerous occasions, but Exmouth defended well and Honiton were disappointingly kept away from a score, albeit they did cross, but the try was disallowed.

With the Colts looking down the barrel of their first loss this season they dug in and found some inner strength.

They clawed their way back up to the home sides five-metre line. From here Ross Oaten was able to receive and powered over in the right corner to leave the Lacemen with a huge kick to level things.

Oaten struck a clean ball and, with a good head of wind the ball found the distance and slipped over to level the game.

With both teams desperate to add a further score frantic measures were employed and long range kicks fell short from both parties.

The final play was played and the game closed with Exmouth clearly happy and the Lacemen frustrated that it had taken them so long to get a head of steam.

The Laceman Man of the Match was Ross Oaten.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald