Lacemen edged out at Falmouth

PUBLISHED: 07:33 09 December 2015 | UPDATED: 07:33 09 December 2015

Honiton 2nds played Exmouth Nomads at the Imperial ground on Saturday. Ref mhsp 8411-50-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn

Honiton 2nds played Exmouth Nomads at the Imperial ground on Saturday. Ref mhsp 8411-50-15SH. Picture: Simon Horn


Honiton were edged out 11-7 when they made the long trip to Cornwall to take on Falmouth, writes Mick Huskins.

Realistically this was always going to be a difficult encounter given the Cornishmen’s fourth placed league status and then throw in the small matter of a certain gale called Desmond and it was always going to be a tough day out for the Lacemen!

During the warm-up the Cornishmen looked well organised and they started brightly, but credit to Honiton for they got amongst them and disrupted the organisational patterns and you could see Falmouth were frustrated as their game plan struggled to work!

The wind was clearly a factor in the game, but was more of a cross wind than an end to end one and it made playing ‘long pass’ rugby difficult.

Honiton’s scrum stood up well and front row trio of Harrison, Watman and Olive performed well all afternoon. Falmouth’s backs looked dangerous with the ball, but Honiton’s defence managed them well.

Falmouth broke the dead lock on the 30 minute mark with a well-struck penalty having missed one earlier. They doubled the score five minutes later, but it must be said Honiton had their moments in this first half and Matt Olive was held up over the line and a five-yard scrum where Honiton could have scored saw an unforced error punished with a good clearance kick.

With a narrow six point gap Honiton were very much still in it, but unfortunately they started the second half badly and a series of drives saw the Cornishmen work the ball wide for an early score to go 11 points up.

You’d be forgiven for thinking Honiton’s resolve was broken but they dug deep and to a man worked hard in this half and they put some good passages of play together unfortunately there were still the occasional error that often negated sets of good phased work. It was end to end stuff and, with 15 minutes to go, whilst Falmouth were on the attack, there was a big hit from Honiton that spilled the ball it was swiftly transferred from Canniford to Guilbert who fed Meadows who on the halfway drew his man to release Will Tyers who stepped left and right and then won the foot race to the line for the highlight of the game. Canniford added the extras.

The last 15 minutes were frantic and Honiton pressed, but it was all to no avail as the home side hung on through to the final whistle.

Honiton were probably more shocked with the score line having assumed they would get a pasting, but it clearly shows what can be done if you work hard together.

Senior players Rice and Guilbert played well and new comer Corry Pulman also looked good as did Matt Olive, Martin Keep and the back three, but the Man of the Match award went to Phil Bennett for his work in the mid field.

On Saturday (December 12) the Lacemen entertain Tavistock.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Midweek Herald