Nex keeps his cool

PUBLISHED: 09:00 26 November 2008 | UPDATED: 22:40 15 June 2010

P4004-48-08TI Honiton v South Molton.
photo Terry Ife

P4004-48-08TI Honiton v South Molton. photo Terry Ife

Copyright Archant Ltd

Honiton scraped a narrow 18-16 win at Allhallows on Saturday afternoon against a strong South Molton side.

Honiton scraped a narrow 18-16 win at Allhallows on Saturday afternoon against a strong South Molton side. South Molton were much changed from that which lost out in the league at Honiton three weeks ago, but it is the Lacemen's name that goes into the pot for the next round of the National Cup.The win, which looked in doubt for long periods of the game, was settled with two well taken penalties, the last of which came in the final five minutes with Honiton 15-16 down. A penalty was given 15 yards left of the posts and fly half Nex stepped up. The youngster kept a cool head to slot the three points up the hill to put Honiton into the lead and indeed into the next round. The home crowd roared, and South Molton were left defeated, and subdued. Honiton had started the game with the slope in their favour but struggled to get into the game in the opening 10 minutes. The wind was blowing against them and their kicks were unable to find much distance. South Molton pressed the home side, but in doing so they failed to make any significant breaks. On the 10 minute mark a kicking duel began Sampson received the ball and lofted a kick towards the right hand touch line. He and Dobson closed down the counterattack, and from the next ruck Locke turned the ball over. Kenny found Sampson down the right and he broke the gain line to draw the last man before offloading to Dobson who raced in to score to the right of the posts - against the run of play. Nex added the extras however, and Honiton were seven points up. Almost immediately the Lacemen gave away a penalty 25 yards out for going in at the side of a ruck. South Molton converted it to get within four points. South Molton had the upper hand for the remaining part of the opening quarter, as Honiton fumbled and kicked away ball. A missed tackle in midfield allowed the centre to race through and put his winger over for a converted score. Honiton rolled their sleeves up and knuckled down for the remainder of the first half but were unfortunate not to score on several occasions.Honiton failed to make any impact on the game in the third quarter. South Molton used their forwards to ruck down the field to good effect and were 16-7 ahead after penalties. Honiton needed a response. A well constructed lineout gave Locke space to run and he made good yards before being hauled down. The move broke down but it gave Honiton confidence. Valendar, who had an impressive game, tapped and went, and Locke made another decisive break, eventually scoring. Nex added a penalty later to take the score to 15-16 before he rounded things off with his last minute heroics. Honiton will now wait to find out who is next in the cup, but it's back to league action next week as they travel to Torrington.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald