Overcast and outplayed - hefty defeat for Honiton

PUBLISHED: 18:53 18 November 2010

Honiton 1st team v Teignmouth. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhspwk45 4298-45-10TI

Honiton 1st team v Teignmouth. Picture by Terry Ife ref mhspwk45 4298-45-10TI


Honiton slumped to a 29-5 loss at Liskeard-Looe on an overcast afternoon in Cornwall. The Lacemen followed a promising first half performance with a weak second half display which saw them concede several tries.

The game started positively for the Lacemen, as they pressed their opponents in the wide channels.

They were undone by the difficult conditions at times, but, with the lineout and scrummage functioning well, they looked more than a match for the home side.

A set piece on the right saw the ball go wide; Webber went close before being hauled into touch on the left hand side. Soon after space opened up on the right and Canniford held off two defenders to cross in the bottom right hand corner.

Honiton were on the up and, when they built their phase play, spaces opened. Honiton couldn’t take any of their further opportunities, however, and when they were presented with a kickable penalty, they elected to run the ball and, as the move broke down, one wondered if it had been the correct decision.

As the half wore on, Norman was sin-binned for stamping and Honiton missed his tackling in the loose. Soon they were on their own line and, to their credit they defended stoutly for some time, clearing their five yard line and attacking again.

The home side came back again, and won a scrummage five yards out. The Honiton pack struggled to contain their counterparts, forcing Kenny into conceding a penalty, deemed ill-disciplined enough for the referee to award a penalty try.

At half time Honiton knew that when they had the ball they had attacked well as a unit and shown that they could play. They had also shown that they could defend adequately as well, and so they were positive that they could win.

Honiton began the second half well, and were throwing the kitchen sink at the hosts.

However, they did not show the correct levels of control at the right times.

Having done the donkey work by getting into the points scoring zone, Honiton coughed up possession, and as the visitors turned over possession, a cross field kick saw the home side’s blindside gather and romp down field to score.

It was a real kick in the teeth for the Lacemen, but they didn’t react in the required fashion.

Their penalty count from then in killed any chance they had of winning the game. Both in attack in defence they conceded needless penalties, which the home side either kicked deep to set up try scoring driving mauls or kicked for goal.

The substitutes couldn’t stem the tide leaving Honiton to their heaviest defeat all season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald