Second team forge clear after brak

PUBLISHED: 09:00 29 March 2008 | UPDATED: 21:40 15 June 2010

A strong 'Quins team overwhelmed Wellington in this Easter friendly 2nd team fixture.

A strong 'Quins team overwhelmed Wellington in this Easter friendly 2nd team fixture. The Somerset side competed well up front but once the ball was in the open Sidmouth had too much pace and ran in 11 tries. Sidmouth kicked off on a firm pitch with a cold breeze at their backs and were soon pressing on the Wellington line. They were awarded a penalty in front of the posts but, in holiday spirit, they opted to tap and run. However, the defence was alert and a mistake allowed Wellington to clear the ball up field.The 'Quins were soon back on the attack. Jon Gardner opened the scoring when he dummied his way over after Liam O'Connor had made the hard yards to the line after peeling off a maul. Tristan Beavis converted.Play was evenly contested for the remainder of the first quarter before Sidmouth increased their lead when Giles Dixon ran back a missed touch kick and sent Beavis sprinting in at the corner. A few minutes later Jack Pyne caught the defence napping to score under the posts following a quick tap penalty. Beavis converted. Wellington opened their account when their outside centre intercepted just inside the Sidmouth half and had enough pace to reach the line.The Sidmouth response came two minutes later when Steve Trim profited from another quickly-taken penalty to leave Tristan Beavis a simple conversion from under the posts.Wellington closed the gap again when they scored from a line-out catch and drive play. Giles Dixon scored in injury time when he came in off his wing to take a switch pass from Steve Trim which wrong-footed the defence. Beavis converted to make the halftime score 33-10.Two minutes after the restart Andy Matchett, who had come on as a replacement, sprinted in from halfway to finish off a counter-attacking move started deep in the Sidmouth half. With the wind at their backs, Wellington enjoyed a long period of pressure which was rewarded when Sidmouth eventually ran out of defenders and the right winger scored in the corner.The 'Quins took control in the final quarter to run in five unanswered tries as Wellington ran out of steam. Jack Pyne was on hand to score his second after Steve Trim and Andy Matchett had combined well up the right touchline. Tristan Beavis broke through the centre after a strong run by Rob Cheeseman had stretched the defence. Beavis converted both tries.Replacement prop Mike Down showed a good turn of speed to finish off a handling move started in the Sidmouth half. A minute later Tristan Beavis was in support of a Giles Dixon run to complete his hat-trick. And the same two players combined again when Dixon followed up the centre's chip over the defence to touch down near the posts. Jerry Trump's conversion was followed by the final whistle.l On Saturday the Chiefs aim to keep the pressure on leaders Paignton and secure the win, which would guarantee them home advantage in the event of a play off, when they entertain Minehead Barbarians at the Blackmore, kicking off at 3pm.The 'Quins play Merit Table leaders Torquay 2nds at Sidford, also kicking off at 3pm. The Colts travel to Torquay.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald