Sherrie Hair leads Honiton runners home at Bideford Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Sixteen Honiton Running Club (HRC) members took part in the Bideford Half Marathon last Sunday, writes Judy Davey.
This particular event is sold as a ‘swift half’ as it is fairly flat. The race starts in Bideford and goes out on the main road towards Great Torrington before runners are turned back at the half-way point onto the Tarka Trail.
The road section is undulating, but the Tarka Trail is dead flat. This means it is a well-known course for runners to obtain a personal best time.
The race was won by Shaun Antell in a time of 1:8:39. First back for HRC and leading the Honiton ladies home was Sherrie Hair, who came 113th in 1:31:01, winning a bottle of champagne and trophy for winning her category.
Mark Newson was next back coming 135th in 1:33:13. Jo Davey, in her first ever half marathon, stormed around to come 158th in 1:34:42.
You may also want to watch:
She was followed by her mum, Judy, who came 191st in 1:36:40, which was also new personal best by a full three minutes and she also won her category.
Steve Davey completed the Davey trio, finishing two places and five seconds behind Judy.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 9 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 10 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
Richard Harvey was next in 218th place in 1:38:29 and he was followed by Richard Harris who came 240th in 1:39:39.
Emilie Tones came 301st in 1:42:04 and Vernon Gillard was happy with his 322nd and 1:42:53 having recently returned from eating and drinking too much on an all-inclusive holiday!
Jennie Sleeman came third in her category, finishing 505th in 1:51:05. Darren Roberts came 560th in 1:53:27 and Pip Vanham came 942nd in 2:11:11.
Tony Peek suffered injury around eight miles and finished with his wife, Dawn, coming 1129th in 2:25:28 while Dawn finished 1122nd in 2:26:01.
Rachel Mandrupson came 1148th in 2:29:13 and Vanessa Glyn Jones completed the HRC line-up taking first prize in her category, coming 1187th in 2:36:11. There were 1,263 finishers.