Skipper Miller leads Axminster top opening day win at home to Seaton 2nds
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Axminster 1st XI made a winning start to their Tolchards League F Division East campaign, beating visiting Seaton 2nds by 87 runs.
After being asked to bat, Axminster skipper Paul Miller top scored with 73 and there were excellent contributions of 34, from Andrew Guppy – the skipper and Guppy putting on 93 for the second wicket - and Ben Webb, who scored 29. There were also as many as 38 extras in the Axminster closing total of 197-5.
Seaton saw their openers parted in the second over before father and son K and S Fernely, the latter top scoring with a knock of 56, took them to 87-2.
That was as good as it got for Seaton as they then lost their final eight wickets for just 23 runs and were ultimately bowled out for 110.
In terms of the home bowling effort, both Mike Chenery and Will Jenkins returned figures of 3-25 from with overs. Alex Wraight chipped in with two wickets for four runs from four overs while young Robin Ellis, promoted for the club’s 2nd XI, opened the bowling and finished with figures of 2-29 from five overs.
You may also want to watch:
Skipper Miller said post match: “It’s an excellent way to start a new season. Everybody contributed to the cause in one way or another and I must make special mention of youngsters Ben Webb and Robin Ellis for their contribution to the team on the day.”
Axminster travel to Exwick 1st XI on Saturday (May 11) to face a side that lost their opening game beaten by three wickets at Cullompton 2nds.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 The US Open: part two
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax