Smart nets first Upottery win as home success is savoured at long last
- Credit: Archant
Upottery 6, North Tawton 0 Upottery powered to their first home victory since early October when they thumped Sandford.
Since then the villagers have lost five in succession whilst away from home they have been banking points to stay on the edge of the promotion race.
Danny Symons fired them ahead and the lead was doubled by the only player in the team to live in Upottery, Jamie Smart, who netted his first ever goal for the side.
Skipper Mark Tucker, who, alongside Symons in midfield orchestrated things all afternoon, made it three.
Brad Spiller came off the bench to bag a brace and the final goal was scored by Chaz Lane.
You may also want to watch:
Prettejohn said: “That was much better. The home form was worrying me and I was toying with the idea of making the players drive around before the game to give the feeling of it being an away match. I didn’t, but the thought was there!”
Next up for Prettejohn and his side is Saturday’s trip to unbeaten table toppers Crediton United.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 3 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 8 Riding through the lockdown restrictions
- 9 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 10 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
Having become the first team to defeat second in the table Dolphin last time they travelled the villagers can journey to Lords Meadow with confidence.
Prettejohn says: “We’ve spoiled one unbeaten record and so it would be nice to make it a double. We have the ability and if the team plays to its potential I see no reason why we cannot get a positive result up there.”