Spark of light for Beer

Beer Albion won for the 6th time in 25 Devon & Exeter League top flight outings and breathed yet more fire into their ongoing battle to avoid the drop out of the top flight.

Beer Albion won for the 6th time in 25 Devon & Exeter League top flight outings and breathed yet more fire into their ongoing battle to avoid the drop out of the top flight. Justin Adkin (2) and James Melville scored the goals as the Fishermen defeated Wellington 3-1.It means that Albion currently sit third from bottom and, although basement dwellers Hatherleigh Town also won and have plenty of games in hand, Budleigh Salterton Reserves are now a point worse off and have just one game in hand.Albion boss Phil Crabb says: "We know it looks a forlorn task but all we can do is win as many of our remaining games as possible and then we'll at least have given ourselves a chance. It has been a struggle this term but we have showed that when we can get our strongest side out we are a match for any of the other Premier sides."Next up a meeting with Heavitree Social United of which Crabb says: "It is so dependent on availability and, if we can get the lads out there, then who knows? Another three points would be very welcome."Feniton's season is falling apart at the seams and they were beaten for the second successive Saturday when losing to bottom of the table Hatherleigh Town by the odd goal in three.The Blues led at the midway stage but eventually lost to a late second half penalty. The defeat probably ends any chance of the Blues booking a top four finish and so it also means an end to their hopes of a place in the Peninsula League next season.But the Acland Park outfit are a 'work in progress' and current boss Sean Devine is already operating with one eye on the next campaign.Upottery are showing that there is plenty of life left in their bid to spend at least another season in Senior One. They came back from a trip to Mid Devon with a much deserved point after a 1-1 draw with Cullompton Rangers. But the villagers' long term hopes were hit hard with the news that an eye injury to Andy Isaacs will leave them without the hit-man's services for at least the next month.Isaacs was clobbered in the face by the ball, and it hit him with such speed that he ruptured his eye tendons and needed instant hospital attention at the A and E department at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.It was while Upottery were down to 10 men, and busy preparing a replacement for the unfortunate Isaacs, that the home side scored their equaliser.Dan Broom netted the villagers' goal. Manager Merv Sawyer said: "It was by no means a classic and the contest was not helped by an uneven Speeds Meadow surface that gave way to an unpredictable bounce. But on the plus side it is another point and it means we are now unbeaten in two. "Our best wishes though are certainly with Dave Isaacs who we hope is back playing again as soon as the doctors say he can." On Saturday, Upottery make the short trip to Seaton Town for an East Devon derby.Seaton Town lost by the odd goal in five at Broadclyst. The hosts produced a performance that belied their lowly Senior One status and, as Mark Watkins said, produced a performance that warranted something from the contest: "Broadclyst deserved to take something for their efforts whilst we served up a performance that was an improvement on what we saw seven days before. No excuses, we are simply in a poor run of form at present. I would say that from here on in, it is a case of me now giving chances to as many of our Colyford Road players as possible so that they all get the opportunity to book a berth with us next season. We have six league matches to play and, of course, two Cup semi-finals to contest and so I am looking for players to show they want to be part of what we plan for next season."It all started so well for Town who were ahead in the 10th minute when Mark Perham headed a deep corner to the far post back across the danger area and John Cooper applied the finish.But the hosts were level within a minute, and were 2-1 to the good four minutes after that. Late in the first half both Mark Perham and Josh French went close but Town's fate was effectively sealed within 30 seconds of the re-start as the host's found the back of the Town net to take a 3-1 lead. Ben Ede's late strike was a mere consolation. On Saturday, Town host bottom of the table Upottery.Honiton Town produced one of their best performances of the season to hammer University 6-2 at Mountbatten Park. Tom Genders and Sam Farmer both bagged braces and the other Town scorers were Mark Bowles and Paul Blackmore, the latter coming off the bench to add his name to the scorers' list. Town boss Richard Ayres said: "After the previous week's brave effort against Barnstaple Town, I resisted restoring the lads who had missed that match and so we started with four regulars warming the bench and the move paid dividends. I felt we produced some of our most positive football of the season and were good value for the win. I was delighted with the application by everyone involved and this sort of a display tells me that if we can add a couple more players to the squad next year ,we will do well."Colyton's Senior Three promotion bid took a hit at Lapford where they went down 3-1.The hosts had a two goal lead before Keith Somers's side finally found their usual game and, when Ed Busby struck a sweet volley, there were high hopes of a recovery. Colyton could, and perhaps should, have been level when the boss's son Callum ran through only to be denied by an excellent save and then, with their first attack after the break, the home side added a third to seal a 3-1 win. Somers Senior said: "That was as bad as it gets for us and, for the first time since I took over, I actually saw a side capitulate in the second half. "We really could have been beaten by six or seven and the only positive I can probably take is the fact that we didn't catch a caning."Matthew Penfold was able to make his debut between the posts now that his commitment to hockey is over for the season but he pulled a muscle and limped out of the action at half time. Replacement James Richards later saved a penalty and made two other stunning saves to prevent a higher margin of defeat for his side.Offwell bounced back from the previous week's disappointment to win 3-1 at Crediton. Liam Spiller struck a first half brace to put his side in the driving seat and, despite the home side halving the deficit after the break, Karl Allen struck a third to give Rangers a deserved win. Manager Nick Ogden said: We were looking for a positive reaction and that is certainly what we got. Man of the Match went to the entire team for this game, a fitting tribute to a good all round effort."Meanwhile Offwell's RESERVES went down 3-1 at home to Lapford. A Jason Harris free kick from 25 yards had given Offwell the lead but they lost their way thereafter. Nigel Nidd had a fine game for Rangers. First team boss Ogden said: "It was a worthwhile exercise as I wanted to see what we have in the Reserves to see who can press for a 1st team place."There were mixed fortunes for Awliscombe over the weekend. On Saturday they lost 3-2 at Hemyock but, 24 hours later, they were on the right end of a 3-2 score line, making Golesworthy Cup progress at the expense of Colyton Reserves.Colyton's second team had won their league game the day before, beating Met Office 1-0 thanks to Nathan Maddocks' 35 yard screamer!Trevor Anning (2), Dave James and Nigel Swain were the scorers as Feniton Reserves beat Culm United 4-0 leaving a delighted Bryn Ebdon to say: "We played really well throughout the match. Culm played their part and the margin of victory slightly flattered us, but it was a great effort by our lads."Josh Stunnel scored what proved to be a consolation goal as Seaton Town 3rds went down 6-1 against Otterton. SEATON Reserves also lost, going down 1-0 at South Zeal in one of those games that was always going to be claimed by the side who netted first.Rockbeare Rangers beat Axminster Town 3rds 3-1. After a blank first half Nic Perrem let fly from 30 yards to put Rangers ahead, and the advantage was doubled when Joe Todd set up Bryn Lister. The Tigers got back into the game at 2-1 before Kurt Hatch came off the bench to seal a 3-1 win. Perrem was named Man of the Match.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus