Taking the plunge
Six youth swimmers from Chard & District Swimming Club have been awarded places on the ASA South West Young Volunteer Programme writes Hannah Pullinger.
Last year, one of the senior swimmers, Steph Hallam, who has now left for University, was awarded the Somerset ASA Young Volunteer of the Year award, and this inspired other members of the club.
With the help of former coaches John and Pamela Farrant, the club has been working hard towards achieving the Swim 21 Club Accreditation, and this enabled them to put forward nominations for the Young Volunteer Programme.
The six swimmers were delighted to be accepted on the scheme and attended their first training day last weekend organised by Somerset ASA, along with 10 swimmers from other clubs.
They learnt about organising aquatics events, being a team manager and the basics of time-keeping and judging at competitions. This will enable them to help out at club events, and, in the future, county and regional competitions as well.
You may also want to watch:
The six are already stepping up to the challenge, helping with junior sessions, time-keeping and marshalling at club galas and writing reports and taking photographs for the press. Next weekend they are helping with the club’s first Preliminaries Gala for the 10 and unders – one length races designed to introduce younger members to competitive swimming in a friendly, fun way.
Pictured are: Top: Ben Fowler, 15, Jake Hallam 15, Luke van den Barselaar,16, Bottom: Jess Mathieson,15, Hannah Pullinger, 16, Abi Dare, 15.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
?Chard & District are always looking for new members; sessions are held at Axminster, Chard and Crewkerne, as well as long course training at Millfield School pool. If you would like to find out more or arrange a free trial please visit the web-site at chardswimming.org.uk