Thompson knock and some fine bowling sees Whimple 2nds to Cully victory
- Credit: Archant
Whimple 2nd XI won a thrilling meeting with Cullompton II, beating the Mid Devon men by 17 runs at Cullompton.
=Whimple batted first, but found the going tough with only opener Kevin Thompson mastering the Cully attack as he top scored with 77.
There were just three other double figure scores with Jono Burden (27), Luke Witton (21) and Phil Hope (13) the other batters to manage to stick around for long.
However, any doubts at tea as to whether the score would be enough were soon forgotten thanks to a wonderful all-round bowling display.
Cully lost wickets at regular intervals with only middle-order bat Stephen Paul, who batted superbly for his unbeaten 85, showing any real grit against the fine Whimple bowling.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Mortiboys was the only other Cully batsman into double figures as the home side were bowled out for 145 in 39.5 overs. It was Luke Witton who led the bowling honours with three wickets for 25 runs from 5.5 overs) Sam Jefferson (2-16), Callum Lefevre (1-17), Jono Burden (1-24) and Phil Hope (1-29), were the other Whimple wicket takers.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 7 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis