Tigers maul visiting Teigns
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town recorded a fifth home win of the South West Peninsula League Eastern Division season with a 6-1 mauling of Teignmouth Town.
In a bright start the Tigers took a 10th minute lead with Liam Cleal netting from close range and 10 minutes later if was 2-0 when Jonny Hurford curled a free-kick into the back of the Teigns net.
The visitors’ physical approach led to them being reduced to 10 men midway through the first half – a second yellow for the player leaving the Teigns to play almost two-thirds of the contest a man light. The Tigers made it 3-0, 10 minutes into the second half with Hurford once again the scorer and Cleal followed suit to double his tally and make it before a defensive error gifted the Teigns a consolation.
An excellent individual display from 16-year-old Aaron Daniels ensured that the Tigers scored six in a league game for the first time this season.
The victory was also sweet revenge for the 3-0 defeat the Tigers suffered at Teignmouth in late October.
You may also want to watch:
The three points takes Town into fifth place and next up is an East Devon derby with Sidmouth Town the visitors to Tiger Way on Saturday (January 7). Kick-off is at 3pm.
- 1 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 2 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 3 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 4 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 5 Children’s hospice South West celebrates 30 years
- 6 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 A tribute to Axminster mayor Anni Young
- 9 East Devon MPs 'reluctantly agree' on Lockdown Three
- 10 Beer Men's Shed receives £10,000 lottery funding