Tipton 10k race and Tipton Fun Run this Saturday (July 12)
There is a haul of new trophies to compete for in this year’s Otter Rail and River Run, which takes place this Saturday, July 12, from Tipton St John playing field, writes Jo Earlam.
As in previous years it will include the popular 10km competitive race, and a 1.5-mile fun run – both marked courses in the scenic Otter valley.
The 1.5-mile race, mainly enjoyed by the children, will be renamed the Jackie Box Fun Run, to remember and celebrate the life of local mum Jackie, who sadly died a few days before last year’s event.
New perpetual shields, kindly sponsored by her family, will be awarded to the overall and local winners of the fun run. There will also be new age prizes and medals for all finishers.
Both runs are largely off-road on footpaths, tracks and through fields. The 10km route heads south downriver to Harpford, where it climbs to join the old railway line back to Tipton, then heading north to Fluxton, and returning to the village via Metcombe, and a 100 metre flat off-road sprint to the finish.
You may also want to watch:
The fun run is a totally flat course, off-road north to the river and then Fluxton, and a short road stretch back to Tipton Vale and footpath link to the field, also with the same 100 metre flat finish.
There will be prizes for first, second, third in the 10km, male and female, team prizes for three members in club vests male/female, and veteran age prizes in 10 year groupings, along with first local runner awards.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
There will be goodies or medals presented to all finishers in the 10km.
The start and finish for both runs is on the field. The fun run starts at 10.30am and the 10k race starts at 11am.
The Race HQ is in the clubhouse/pavilion which has changing rooms, toilets and showers. Proceeds from the 10km are for the general maintenance and upkeep of the playing field, which is a community run local charity.
Thanks to Sidmouth Running Club for its help in staging this event and our kind sponsors Otter Brewery, Michelmore Solicitors and Ironbridge Runner.