Tipton see off tourists Southgate Compton
- Credit: Archant
After Saturday’s washout Tipton were glad to play London tourists Southgate Compton on a damp pitch that made scoring difficult in the bank holiday meeting.
The visitors batted first and were soon in trouble as Dave Alford struck twice in the fourth over having Grayson caught behind by Dave Dawson, his 400th catch for Tipton and Arif bowled three balls later.
Against tight bowling Andy and Chloe Frame put on 41 in 16 overs until David O’Higgins bowled Andy Frame for 34 and two runs later trapped Wallis leg before wicket.
Steve Shaw seeking his 650th Tipton wicket achieved this thanks to a good catch by Joe Birch. Captain Liam Frame was tempted by O’Higgins and lashed the ball straight to Justin Quick for seven.
Tom Birch then accounted for Tipton player Dave Jessop, guesting for Southgate who could only find the safe hands of Keith Collins on the boundary.
You may also want to watch:
The patient innings of Chloe Frame ended in a similar manner when Phil Tolley held a fine catch at mid wicket. When Sayers was also caught by Quick off Birch for 12, Phil Wright tidied up the innings removing Pierson. O’Higgins and Tom Birch with an age difference of 57 both achieved 3-12.
So Southgate were dismissed for just 93, but this proved a difficult target for Tipton who lost Collins and Quick with only 14 scored. A good partnership between Joe Birch (27) and Steve Shaw (16) repaired the damage, but further alarm was raised when further wickets tumbled and with the score on 66-7 trouble loomed. However, the dependable Phil Tolley escorted by captain David Birch managed to reach the target with just four balls to spare.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 5 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
So after a slow start to the season Tipton made it four wins on the trot by two wickets.