Town’s title bid hit by second successive draw

SEATON Town suffered a big blow to their Fresha League Premier Division title hopes when they were held to a 3-3 draw by Clyst Valley in a midweek game at Colyford Road.

Town have now dropped four points in the last two games and that all means they now hold a nine point lead over Sidmouth Town in the two team race for the title with the Manstone Road outfit currently having four games in hand – and the two sides have yet to meet, home and away!

Town held the lead three times against Clyst Valley who emerged with a point thanks to an 87th minute penalty. Town boss Josh Stunell had no complaints about the third and final equaliser: “Stonewall penalty for me, it was a case of an attacker making a defensive tackle in the area, the ball was missed, the player’s down and it’s a nailed on pen – no complaint.”

On the game, Stunell said: “The first 45 minutes was easily the best I have seen our lads deliver for the entire season. They were, to a player, superb and we thoroughly deserved to lead 2-1, possibly by more. Then, after the break they (Clyst Valley) did exactly what they did in the reverse fixture at their place earlier in the season. They threw the kitchen sink at us and, in all honesty, deserved to take a share of the spoils.”

To the question of whether he felt it a point gained or two dropped, Stunell said: “One gained. I have spent some time researching past seasons to discover that, at this stage, for the teams who do go on and win it, it’s a case now of points here and points there, with the key being not to lose. We are six unbeaten, we have a nine point lead and yes, if Sidmouth win three and draw one of their four in hand they will, lead by a point with us still to meet twice so there is much to play for in both camps. I am happy with where we are. The ball is now in Sidmouth’s court and it is fair to say that whichever of the two sides ultimately lands the top prize they will most certainly have earned it!”

You may also want to watch:

Alex Wheatley and Dan Norman scored the first half goals that sent Town into a 2-1 lead against Clyst Valley and then Jack lamb-Wilson fired them ahead with ten remaining before that late penalty.

On Saturday Town are at Topsham and Stunell is under no illusions as to the task his side face: “They (Topsham) are a good solid side and they will be mighty keen to deal us a title knocking blow but, if we can repeat the first half performance against Clyst Valley at Coronation Field, Topsham, then I fancy we are more than capable of getting a positive result.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus