Two team scrap for the Honiton Summer Netball League title
- Credit: Archant
With just two weeks to go to the end of the season it is now a straight race for the title between Uplowman and Flamingos, writes Graham Ingram.
What’s more, as if to add further excitement to the mix the two team’s have yet to meet each other!
The title hopes of Signs South West were ended when they came up against table-toppers Uplowman.
At quarter time SSW had a 27-25 lead, but by halfway Uplowman had edged two goals in front at 37-35 and, with Viv Grant playing well, they were 45-39 ahead going into the final period.
Then Faye Hawkins got Signs South West motoring and they fought hard and gradually reduced the deficit, only to fall agonisingly short by one goal to lose 49-50!
You may also want to watch:
For the second week in a row OPG found themselves losing, this time to Tip Top Trees, effectively ending their title hopes.
With Jenny Robinson playing well for Tip Top Tress they were always in control and although Kirsty Wackley worked tirelessly for OPG and they gradually reduced the arrears they fell short and the Trees recorded a very good 57-54 victory.
- 1 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 4 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 5 Rural Proofing response will be guided by Labour’s motion says Cabinet at Devon County Council
- 6 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 7 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 8 How you can help your children keep up with studying
- 9 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Hi Q and JD Tyres fought out a mid-table battle with honours going to Hi Q by 51-42 thanks to good play from Jaz Chester, whilst Sam Brunskill played well for JD.
Howden Hawks have come late to the party and after six games without a win they gained a draw against Hi Q and then last week went one better with a win against OPG, following it up this week with a fine victory against Sidmouth Toucans, making it three games without defeat!
Hawks, with Alice Quick playing well, had the bit between their teeth from the off and led from the start.
Although Louise Neilsen worked hard for Toucans they could not catch Hawks who finished with a comfortable 70-53 victory.
Uplowman 50, Signs South West 49; OPG 54, Tip Top Trees 57; Hi Q 51, JD Tyres 42; Sidmouth Toucans 53, Howden Hawks 70.
Latest table P GD Pts
Uplowman 8 143 24
Flamingos 8 62 21
Pixies 9 13 19
OPG 9 13 19
Signs South West 8 52 18
Hi Q 8 24 17
JD Tyres 9 -64 16
Sidmouth Toucans 9 -35 15
Tip Top Trees 9 -83 15
Howden Hawks 9 -23 14
Blackdown Ladies 8 -92 10