Uplyme 2nds edge past Honiton in close encounter
- Credit: Archant
Drawing parallels with the 1st XI game Uplyme made hard work of beating Honiton in this second eleven fixture.
Choosing to bowl first on a slow wicket Uplyme were well on top as half way arrived with Honiton a troubled 49-4 after some accurate bowling from Wesley Holmes, Wallace Blackmore, Jolly Bugg and Ali Rattenbury.
After drinks regular first team player John Hext set about increasing the run rate and with the support of Conway and Brensford and taking advantage of some wayward bowling they raised the Honiton total to a par score of 161. Hext was last man out with a well-crafted half century to his name.
Like their first team counterparts the seconds failed to bat with conviction! Too many batsmen surrendered their wickets cheaply. Thankfully they had a new recruit in their ranks, Laurie Thomas from Taunton School 1st XI who batted with refreshing simplicity, defending the good balls and punishing the bad ones to score a well made 47 including six fours and a pair of sixes. He was eventually dismissed, caught on the deep off a full toss!
With the score showing 91-5 and 22 overs remaining father and son combination Rod and Wesley Holmes took control until Wesley was caught and bowled by Conway and Rod was then caught behind off the same bowler.
You may also want to watch:
That left the reply 147-7 and both Daley Holmes and Wallace Blackmore were then returned to the pavilion leaving the last pair, Ali Rattenbury and Will Marshall, to edge the side over the winning line with three overs remaining.
This weekend Uplyme II host Shobrooke Park II at Chardstock CC.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 7 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 10 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond