Upottery bag vital victory in bid to beat the drop
Upottery secured a precious victory and also kept Kenn within catching distance in the lower regions of the E Division, beating the visitors by 26 runs.
Ryan Pullman top scored for the home side with 52 whilst Mark Joyce (45) and Matthew Button-Stephens (30) made important contributions to a home total of 233-9.
Father and son Gary (3-42) and Shane Kennard (3-44) then worked in tandem to bowl Kenn out for 207. Skipper Matt Frost bagged a brace of wickets whilst Adam Pullman held three catches in the outfield!
Frost said: “We needed to win this one and there was a real positive attitude throughout. We batted well, got a good solid start and that provided the platform from which the bowlers could go to work to seal success.”
Upottery remain in the bottom two, but they are now just nine points behind third bottom Bridestowe and 20 adrift of fourth bottom Kenn with four games to play.
You may also want to watch:
Frost said: “It was a huge win for us and gives us real hope, especially as we still have to meet Bridestowe. That match on August 24 clearly is a massive game for us. We still have a chance with four more to play, but do need to apply ourselves with bat and ball as we did in this game.”
Next up it’s promotion chasing Whitchurch away. Frost says: “It’s a long way to travel, but that’s the County League for you and the miles have to be done at times. Now we need to make sure it’s not a long journey for nothing and make sure we bring good points home with us.”
- 1 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
- 2 Hot pennies team plan bumper event to mark charter anniversary
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 Scouts welcome Ernie
- 5 Escot provides 'forever' home for rescued bear cubs
- 6 Streetwise author launches second edition of historical A to Z
- 7 Couple support hospital that cared for tragic grandson
- 8 Mentoring helps to encourage development and leadership
- 9 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 10 New silverware up for grabs as flower and produce fair returns
E Division bottom six:
Kentisbeare 14 6 7 0 1 165
Topsham 14 6 8 0 0 164
Kenn 14 5 8 0 1 158
Bridestowe 14 4 7 0 3 147
Upottery 14 4 8 0 2 138
Yarcombe 14 3 10 0 1 114