Upottery celebrate promotion
- Credit: © Royalty-Free/Corbis
Upottery 6, University 4ths 5 The Sidmouth Arms, Upottery, was the scene of great merriment on Saturday night as the village football team toasted confirmation of their promotion from Fresha League Division Three.
The celebrations were sparked by the team’s success in their penultimate home game of the league season which mans they are now guaranteed, at the very least, a top two finish.
With opponents University the only side who can deny Dan Prettejohn’s side the title the opposition the three points means that if Upottery win their final two games then the students will have to win all six of their remaining matches to pip the villagers to the top honour.
Sam Winslade was the start of the show, slamming yet another hat-trick and strike partner Steve Morris also bagged another one whilst an own goal made up the Upottery tally.
Upottery led 2-0 and 5-2 before a comeback by the students put the game in the balance at 5-4 to the home side.
You may also want to watch:
However, Winslade netted goals five and six for the villagers to end the agony of the team boss.
Prettejohn explained saying: “At 5-4 my heart rate was pulsing big time! There was so much on the game and they (University) had scored twice to close the gap to a single goal. When Sam restored a two-goal advantage I guess they’d have heard my sigh of relief as far away as Hemyock!”
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Hourly weekday services resume on East Devon rail link
- 3 School old boy went above and beyond call of duty to honour ware heroes
- 4 Have your say on future development of village
- 5 Mark thanks Scouts for helping in the battle to beat polio
- 6 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 7 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 End of online meetings leaves councils with a dilemma
- 10 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
This was the ninth time this season Upottery have scored five or more goals and they are now at 94 for the season in all competitions.
On Saturday they entertain a Tedburn side they beat 2-0 in Mid Devon in March.
A win at Glebe park and then three points at Sidmouth Town Reserves on April 19 and the only ay they’ll be denied the title is if University 4ths win at Hemyock, Woodbury, Newtown, Chulmleigh, Exmouth Amateurs and their final game, at home to Newtown.