Upottery score six more as Fresha Two promotion bid begins to accelerate
Steve Morris netted for the 13th consecutive game as Upottery struck at least five goals for the fifth time in six outings, chalking up a tenth win in eleven starts in the process.
What made the latest Upottery victory all the more impressive was that it came after they had trailed 1-0 to hosts Topsham Town!
It was Morris who levelled things up after a half-time ‘chat’ for the Fresha Two promotion hopefuls from boss Dan Prettejohn.
Shortly after parity was restored Sam Farmer fired the villagers ahead and from that point there was no looking back! Max McKeown bagged a brace and there was another goal for Joe Jones whilst Mark Tucker was responsible for three assists.
Prettejohn explained the half-time cords saying: “There was no steaming of paint off the dressing room walls. Quite the opposite for in the first half we must have had at least 90 per cent of the play, but conditions were such that the goal would not come. I knew that if we kept doing what we had been doing over the first 45 minutes then the goals would duly arrive and so they did!
You may also want to watch:
Upottery have now hit 73 goals in 16 games this season and their bid for promotion was boosted significantly with a rare defeat for one of their main rivals for a top three finish, University who went down 3-1 to Chulmleigh.
Prettejohn says: “From here it’s all about what we do. Results elsewhere can have no bearing on what we do. As long as we stay on the current road then I am sure, even with the odd flat tyre, we’ll get to our intended destination.”
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 10 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone