Upottery slip to another defeat
- Credit: Archant
Upottery were hit with a fifth defeat in six E Division games and they continue to prop up the others in the section after going down by six wickets at home to Whitchurch.
Stuart Drew led the home side’s effort with the bat with a splendid 60 and there was also a half century from Rob Pulman whilst Jack Kennard chipped in with 43.,
However the Upottery offering of 227-8 did not trouble the visitors who lost just four wickets in the run chase.
Upottery skipper Matt Frost said: “We are in a rut there’s no escaping that. Things are not going for us. We were 90-1 after 20 overs and looking good, but then the wickets tumbled, five for a meagre thirty runs and that put us on the back foot. We rallied well, but ultimately we were 20 or 30 shy of a winning score. We really do need a break and quickly. Hopefully it will come this Saturday when we play Topsham St James who are one of the sides down there with us. It’s clear with this win or lose cricket that it only takes a couple of wins to lift you up the table which is something we’ll be doing sooner rather than later, I hope!”
On Saturday Upottery entertain a Topsham St James side that sits third bottom just nine points better off. A victory and the villagers will feel much happier with life, but another defeat and Upottery will find themselves deeper in bother at the wrong end of the table!
You may also want to watch:
Defeat also for Upottery II, beaten by eight wicket at Axminster II. Matt Broom top scored with 36 in a total of 139, passed for the loss of just two wickets by the hosts.
- 1 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 2 East Budleigh 2nds 2-1 Millwey Rise
- 3 The amazing Axminster of 57 years ago
- 4 Latest from the Devon Cricket League
- 5 Property of the Week: Tansee Hill, Thorncombe
- 6 Lions issue appeal for new members to help fundraising projects
- 7 East Devon Property of the Week
- 8 Family campaigns to fund flower barn at 'paradise' site
- 9 When a waffle is good for your health
- 10 Podium return for Axe Valley Pedaller