Warren’s late strike nets point for Millwey Rise

Honiton 2nds at home to East Budleigh. Ref mhsp 40-16TI 9156. Picture: Terry Ife

Honiton 2nds at home to East Budleigh. Ref mhsp 40-16TI 9156. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Millwey Rise returned from a visit to Awliscombe with a point after sharing six goals with the hosts, writes Dick Sturch.

To say that Millwey looked like a team that had never played together let alone knew each other is an understatement!”

Not to take anything away from Awliscombe, who were like terriers. Never giving their opponents a moments peace, and but for a couple of glaring misses could have wrapped this game up long before Millwey’s two late goals sent them away with a share of the spoils.

In the opening minutes the ‘Awls’ showed their intent when a Stuart Mckay shot was deflected, via a Millwey defender, into the net. A few minutes later a great cross from the visitors Jack Farrant begged to be tapped into the home side’s net but no boot made contact with it.

Millwey’s equaliser came in the 12th minute from a Keith Forsey shot which rocketed past the keeper.

You may also want to watch:

Awliscombe kept up the pressure and a fierce shot from Steve Noon was tipped over the bar by keeper Jack Bennet.

Benjamin Gay then took advantage of Millwey`s defensive lethargy to put the home side in the lead just before half-time.

Most Read

The second period started off with more of the same. Awliscombe kept up their onslaught and should have gone further ahead when they capitalised on a defensive blunder by the visitors, but missed the open goal that loomed before them.

Tyler Warren was called from the bench and instantly made an impression with some raking passes. He was soon followed by Sam Waddon making his first appearance for Millwey’s senior side.

In the 70th minute Pete Nelson put Awliscombe further ahead when he got on the end of a free-kick after a Millwey infringement.

The visitors gradually pulled themselves back into the game when skipper Nathan Womersley scrambled the ball into the net.

This was followed by a pile driver from Warren which the keeper did well to tip over the bar. Farrant then showed why he was worthy of a mention when he chased back from his berth on the right wing to intercept an Awliscombe forward in the Millwey penalty area to avert the imminent danger.

Womersley then went close a couple of times before a superb free kick from Warren gave the visitors an undeserved draw that only under-lined football is a game of 90 minutes!

On Saturday (November 4) Babbacombe Corinthian Reserves are the visitors to Cloakham for a Devon Intermediate Cup tie (2pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus