Webb holds his nerve to guide Axminster to second successive victory
- Credit: Archant
Axminster made it back-to-back wins and 38 points out of a possible 40 at the start of their Tolchards Devon League F Division East campaign as they comfortably beat hosts Exwick by six wickets.
Axminster skipper Pete Miller won the toss and, seeing a damp Exwick wicket, wasted no time in inviting the home side to bat first.
Miller had clearly read the wicket perfectly for his bowlers then combined to bundle Exwick out for just 77 in 29.4 overs!
Indeed, had it not been for a battling 45 from number four bat Jamie Withers, the game would have been over far quicker!
Dave Hayball led the bowling honours for the Axemen with a return of 4-26 and there was an impressive three wicket haul for Jennifer Poole (3-20) and Dom Goodhew finished with 2-14.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Axminster lost Karl Hurst (4), Bradley Conway (15), skipper Miller (10) and Mark Burrough (8), but that was as tough as it got with a run-a-ball unbeaten 32 from Ben Webb seeing the visitors over the finishing line. Jennifer Poole was the other not out batsman at stumps, unbeaten on one.
Skipper Miller said: "Everyone contributed and we did what we had to do. We were wobbling a bit at 39-3, but Ben [Webb] played a very mature innings and Bradley's [Conway] contribution was also pivotal."
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 6 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 10 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West