Week of competition for local anglers
- Credit: John Sherlock
Kennick Flyfishers finished their season off with a trip to Exmoor’s Wimbleball Reservoir with 15 anglers fishing, 32 trout were caught with a good average weight of 3.5lbs. Top rod was John Hern with 5 fish for 17lbs 15oz, Andy Gooding and Stewart Robinson took the next two places.
Beach anglers have been finding fish this week in the latest round of the Facebook South Devon Shore League. The Upham family from Brixham all faring well. Shay and dad Jason found whiting at Torquay’s Hope Nose with Shay taking the largest at 1lb 8oz, whilst brother Corey fished Brixham breakwater and land an elusive Garfish weighing 12oz.
Dan Hale has been fishing our estuaries and has found a few Flounders with some nice Bass thrown in for good measure. Alex Webb has been fishing his local River Exe and also finding Bass up to 3lbs.
Honiton SAC fished a rover shore competition with anglers fishing from Chesil to Slapton, 11 species were caught with the top rod being Tom Travers with a winning 400%, the next two place going to Kart Allen and Kern Sparks.
Addison Boardman fished Chesil beach with her father and caught her first ever Black Bream on squid bait, the fish weighed12lbs 6oz, and Steven Brooke has been fishing the River Fal with lugworms and he also has been finding Bass.
This month Exmouth SAC are celebrating their 100th anniversary, a wonderful achievement, the winner of their October competition was Mike Richardson with two Mackerel for 156%, Gaz Bowden and Tim Clotworthy took the next two places.
This coming Sunday sees the Kingsbridge SAC Flounder competition with the sign on at the Creeks End in Kingsbridge from 7.30am – 8.30am entry is £6 per person with juniors free.
- 1 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 2 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 3 There are troubling consequences for all of us in this real life satire
- 4 Village fundraisers are rewarded as new play park opens
- 5 Lions quick on the draw to maintain fundraising mission
- 6 Colyton decides on new neighbourhood development plan
- 7 7 cosiest pubs in East Devon
- 8 Lord Lieutenant leads county charity’s 60th anniversary salute
- 9 Lacemaker whose skills were admired by the Royal family
- 10 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
Stuart Pike took his Charter boat out of Beer to fish the rough ground, his party of anglers landed 17 species, including a Smalleyed Ray estimated at 9lbs to the rod of Mathew Pike and an Undulate Ray of 16lbs 12oz to Les Bradbeer.
The winner of this month’s fish of the month competition is Honiton SAC’s Jo Westlake with a 2lbs 1oz Red Gurnard.