Westwood and Welch share star man honours as Upottery Reserves draw
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Upottery Reserves were involved in the Macron League Division Five ‘Match of the Day’ when they travelled to play the team that started the day sitting immediately behind them in the table, Devon Yeoman.
Befitting of a clash between the division’s top two, honours ended even at 1-1.
Ten minutes into the contest Upottery took the lead when a superb through-ball from Olly Cramer was run onto by Daniel Ingram, who finished well.
Unfortunately, 15 minutes later, Cramer suffered an injury which saw him leave the field of play and an early substitution had to be made.
Both teams created chances, but it was Yeoman who equalised when Upottery failed to clear their lines and the ball fell at the feet of their striker, who struck it well to level the scores just before the break.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw both teams work hard to break the deadlock. Upottery created numerous chances that, on another day, would surely have seen them end as outright winners, but Yeoman were resilient and could also have sealed the victory, but for a fabulous fingertip save by Upottery glovesman Jake Welch.
In what was a classic contest in which neither team deserved to lose, a draw was probably the fair outcome. The Upottery Man of the Match award was shared between Jamie Westwood and Jake Welch.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 8 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 9 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
In a swift return league meeting, the two teams meet again at Glebe Park on Saturday (November 24) with kick-off at 2.15pm.