Win puts Honiton back on top
- Credit: Archant
Honiton Hornets Hockey Club 4, Exe Hockey Club 0
From the opening whistle the home side had most of the control of the game; and were it not for the strong goalkeeping of the visiting goalie, the final scoreline would most assuredly have been even greater in Honiton’s favour, writes Ann Reed.
As it was, the opening goal came when a penalty stroke was awarded to Honiton following an infringement by an Exe defender right on the goal line; and Amy Phillips was the home team player who successfully took the stroke ensuring the ball sailed over the line!
Following this there were two further goals in the first half: Vanessa Trude scoring the first of these, as she finished off a scrabble between a number of players from both sides in front of the goalmouth, when her stick connected with the ball, which had rebounded from the goal keeper’s pad, and she made sure it ended up against the back board. The final goal of this half came after Jean Herniman zipped the ball from the right wing area across the circle to where Sophie George was eagerly anticipating it, before efficiently putting it away.
In the secnd half only one goal was scored by the home side and this occurred mid-half when Laura Frank‘s stick connected unerringly with the ball, causing it to slam onto the back board.
You may also want to watch:
A good result for Honiton once again; and good to be back on top after last weekend’s ‘hiccough’, which while it did not derail Honiton from the top of the league, was a disappointment!
Players of the Match: Lydia Cox and Amy Phillips
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
- 10 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations