Wind and mud for juniors
Lashing rain on Sunday morning didn t stop 21 runners turning out to take part in the season s first East Devon cross-country race for the junior runners.
Lashing rain on Sunday morning didn't stop 21 runners turning out to take part in the season's first East Devon cross-country race for the junior runners.
When the races got under way, the rain had stopped and the trees of Morganhayes Wood near Colyton were looking splendid in their autumn colours. The runners had to keep their eyes firmly on the ground as they contended with ankle-deep mud and water streaming down the paths, but this all added to the fun.
With feet slipping and sliding, it was hard going and tiring running but everyone put in very gutsy performances.
There were some very good times and a few close battles at the finish. With lower numbers than normal, many found themselves having to fight through the mud without another runner in sight, but there was plenty of tape to keep them on course and friendly marshals to give encouragement.
You may also want to watch:
Many thanks to all the runners, and their parents, for ignoring the weather and making it such a good event. Thanks, too, to the marshals and helpers. The series is organised by Axe Valley, Honiton and Sidmouth Running Clubs but runners from local secondary schools are welcome to take part. The next race will take place on January 31, 2010.
Category winners: 1st U11B - Hugh Williams (HRC), 1st U13B - Harry Felgate (AVR): 1st U13G - Lily Helston (HRC): 1st U15B - Sam Urquhart (HRC): 1st U15G - Ellie Stone (SRC): 1st U17B - Stephen Moss (SRC)
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 7 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 10 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
Full results and photos can be found here: www.webjam.com/HonitonRCJuniors
By John Burgess
Junior cross-country Race