Windwhistle Motor Club Sport Classic Trial success for Paul Merson
- Credit: Archant
Windwhistle Motor Club (Chard) hosted their annual single venue Club Sport Classic Trial at Bovey Down near Seaton in East Devon.
The event proved to be very successful despite the weather, after having been dry for many weeks the rain poured down continuously on the day.
Twenty cars, ranging from specially built trial cars to variously modified road cars, entered from around Somerset and the East Devon area.
The well-organised event was run in the pouring rain which did not deter the competitors or the many brave souls who acted as marshals throughout the day. The competitors tackled 32 sections of various dirt and mud tracks through the trees and up steep hills marked out with numbered stakes, (the object being to get the least number of penalties by getting furthest up the hills with the aid of a passenger endeavouring to keep the wheels on the ground).
The cars were split into various classes depending on engine size and degree of vehicle modification.
You may also want to watch:
The eventual winner was Paul Merson passengered by Nick Sherrin from Minehead driving a purpose build trials car known as a Shopland Mk 2, the pair having only gathered nine penalties.
This event has been held each spring for several years and is open Windwhistle members and non members who have taken out temporary membership on the day.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 8 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 9 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 10 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
The competitors thanked the Marshals for standing by their posts despite the weather and also Sid Vale Carnival for supplying the catering on site.
Anyone interested in taking part in other club events including the fortnightly Production Car Trials held at the Windwhistle Inn should visit the club website or face book page.