Winning seniors master the Axe Cliff conditions
THE Seniors second home inter-club match of the season against Long Sutton brought a further win for Axe Cliff by 41/2 v 11/2.
THE Seniors' second home inter-club match of the season against Long Sutton brought a further win for Axe Cliff by 41/2 v 11/2. Leading from the front the captain, Gilbert Cox, partnered by Mike Tomes won, together with Rob Grove/Morrison Brown, John Mant/Iain Bain and Chris Walker/ John W White.
The half point was won by Peter Knighting/Alan Vincent.
Continuing dry weather produced testing conditions for 32 members on Friday for the April Stableford.
The four leading players did manage to master things, none more so than the winner Keith Wilson (11) with an impressive 37 points. Three players returned cards and on countback second place went to Mike Tomes (16) with Jack Bannister (27) edging out Derek Williamson (24) to take third prize.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, it was good to see Geoff Hubbard back in action and playing his first competitive round for over six months.
l On Saturday the B team played away at Crediton.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 10 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
They had a very enjoyable game, but lost the match 5 1/2 to 1/2. Saving the whitewash was Geoff Greenslade and Phil Hellier.
On Sunday, a three man Texas Scramble was played.
The winners, with a nett 56.8, were P Smith, B Gray and A Morgan. Second were J Russell, A Cooper with a nett 57.8
l On a glorious spring morning, the Ladies travelled to Wrangaton in the heart of Dartmoor for their first league match of the season.
The winners for Axe Cliff were Sandra Walker (16) and Chris Drew (32). However, Wrangaton were the overall winners 4-2.
The return match will be played this Monday and the ladies are hoping for a winning result!
This Wednesday, the April Stableford was played.
Winner of the first division was Barbara Cummings (26) with 34 points.
Division two was won by Janet Dack (27) with 31 points.