Wonderful Whitworths land double delight in Seaton Championship Finals
- Credit: Archant
Seaton Bowls Club saw a conclusion to their finals last week, writes Linda Stone.
First up was the final of the Ray Jeffrey’s Trophy, won by Mike Clarke and Dave Yardley and that was followed by success for Lilian and Terry Hurley-Smith in the ladies’ invitation pairs. The ladies’ three-wood was won by Angie Mayhew and the men’s two-wood singles was claimed by Richard Whitworth. Last, but not least in terms of the Saturday winners, Doug Hislop landed the George Fossett Trophy.
Sunday provide equal excitement. The men’s three-wood final provided more success for Richard Whitworth and then Gill Sykes and Angie Mayhew secured the Iris Amyes Trophy.
The Captain’s Cup was won by Terry Hurley-Smith and the ladies’ handicap went to Angie Mayhew. In the me’s handicap it was another triumph for Richard Whitworth whilst the President’s Cup won by Phil Crichard.
As reported last week, the final day of the finals weekend had to be postponed to allow Seaton to take part in the final of the Two Counties League, which they won.
You may also want to watch:
That left the final day of competitions being played last Saturday (September 13).
The Men’s pairs was won by Peter Newton and Richard Whitworth, the ladies’ two-wood singles by Pat Whitworth, the Jubilee Trophy was won by Dave Yardley, the Saward Trophy by Ron Rowley and the Harman Trophy was won by Sue B-Moore.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 7 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 8 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 9 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 10 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
In keeping with tradition the final two matches are always the two Championship games.
This year the Men’s Championship was won by Richard Whitworth and the Ladies Championship won by Pat Whitworth.
This is the first time that a married couple have managed to win in the same year. Congratulations to them, and hearty congratulations to all who contested the thrilling finals this season.
There were also two friendly matches played last week. First up a trip to Taunton where Seaton secured an 84-70 success. The top rink, winning 29-9, was the one of John Packham, Norman Stone, Lilian Hurley-Smith and Peter Greenwood.
The meeting with Sidmouth saw Seaton land a nine shot victory at 89-80. Here the top rink was the one of Audrey White, Ed Trayling, Bob Scull and Peter Greenwood.