Worthy Jubilee winners at Axe Cliff
Eleven teams took part in a three ball team event at Axe Cliff to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee on Monday last, writes Janet Dack.
With one player in each team able to double their points on each hole it was uncertain until the last team was back in the clubhouse as to what a good score would be to win. As it was, the last team to complete the competition, namely Helen Kenworthy, Alan Kenworthy and Brian Kemp, proved the worthy winners with 119 points and they were awarded first place in the mixed team award. The winning ladies’ team were Janet Dack, Liz Wheeldon and Di Rogers.
Winners of the three man event were Paul Curtin,Geoff Greenslade and Paul Cordwell. As all enjoyed their food and drinks after the game there was much talk of how the winners could defend their title at the next Diamond Jubilee - but I'm not sure that will happen somehow!
In good weather on Friday, 37 Seniors participated in the first round of the "Masters", writes Janet Dack.
This annual event, like its namesake at Augusta, is decided over four Medal rounds, this year on successive Fridays.
You may also want to watch:
The scores reflected the excellent golfing conditions with Tony Horton (26) winning the first round and taking an early lead with a very impressive 65 nett. Two strokes behind on 67 nett in second place was Nick Stanton (23) while two players were a further shot behind on 68 nett.
Third place on countback went to Bill Polley (16) with Mick Tomes (17) the player to miss out on the prizes.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 Football in support of mental health
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
Main club results:
Congratulations to the Palairet team who beat Wrangaton at Dainton Park in their first round three and two on Sunday last.
?The June Medal - division one was won by David Wills (6) with a nett 72.
Second place went to Chris Glover (12) with a nett 74 and third Alan Morgan (10) with a nett 76.
Division two winner was Peter Petherbridge (13) with an excellent nett 68 with Alan Cooper (17) nett 72 beating Peter Keats (20) also nett 72 on the back nine.