New Amen Corner in Lyme Regis
The New Amen Corner will be turning back the clock at the Marine Theatre in Lyme Regis, this week.
Known as Europe’s leading ’60s Revivalists, the band will be playing a host of ’60s covers, as well as the hits by Amen Corner themselves and celebrating all things ’60s – be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
The band was formed from the roots of Amen Corner, due to the friendship between sax man, Frogman Curtis, and Alan Jones, one of the original founder members of Amen Corner. The two shared a love of the ’60s, and a determination to keep the memory and music of the legendary Amen Corner alive, so created the official New Amen Corner.
Amen Corner was one of the biggest influences on the ’60s pop scene to ever come out of Wales. Their own distinctive brand of West Coast (Wales) music, a mixture of mod, psychedelic power pop, heavy horns, swirling Hammond organ, combined with the distinctive voice of Andy Fairweather-Low and their power house live show made them one of the most exciting bands around at the time.
With million seller hits like Gin House, Bend Me Shape Me, If Paradise was Half as Nice, High in the Sky, and Hello Suzie, they soon became a household name in the late ’60s.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately, due to the band’s premature demise at the end of 1969, the legacy of this truly great band has become some what forgotten.
The musicians of the New Amen Corner have a first-class musical pedigree. Most of the band gigged around in the ’60s and they have been band members with the likes of Roger Daltrey, Alice Cooper, Hayley Westenra, Jeff Beck, Roy Wood, Robert Plant, Alvin Stardust and Mike Oldfield, to name but a few.
- 1 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 2 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 3 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
In celebration of the ’60s atmosphere, anyone wearing ’60s dress is promised discounts at the Marine Theatre bar.
The New Amen Corner are performing at the Marine Theatre, at 8pm, on Friday, June 25. Tickets cost �15 in advance, from Lyme Regis Tourist Information Centre on (01297) 442138, online at www.marinetheatre.org.uk or on the door.